[Homeroast] Bottomless Portafilter

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Sun Aug 29 09:56:29 CDT 2010

On Aug 28, 2010, at 7:32 PM, miKe mcKoffee wrote:

> Not worth the energy repeating what's been discussed many times many
> venues...to each their own.

I disagree. I will say that Denis' whole argument rests on the assertion that the coffee cools as it drips out of the portafilter.
I say "who cares?" The extraction has been done. The whole point of hot coffee is not that it is hot to the lips, but that it is properly extracted. Cup temperature is irrelevant, except to the sensory experience as the cup cools, maybe, but you go ahead and try drinking 200 degree coffee without any cooling. Go ahead. Enjoy your scarred taste buds, savor the numbing lack of flavor on your second, third, and fourth sips, even after it has cooled below the pain threshold.

Your argument states that a naked PF has limits and acknowledges that they're great tools for learning, correcting, and evaluating your technique, but once you've reached perfection, you don't need them anymore.

I want to know what limits you assert they have - other than effect on temperature. (and why running the espresso through a metal trough with lots of surface area won't cool it, I don't know. I'm sure the spout is the coolest part of the PF because it acts like a heat sink, flapping in the breezy air below the portafilter).

They allow for cleaning the PF much more easily.

Sure, they are showy, but a naked pull can show the mark of quality. I'd rather buy a $4 or even $5 espresso from a barista who uses a naked PF and might sink a bad shot before delivering a cup of guaranteed nirvana than a barista who uses a regular PF and gives you whatever he pulls for $2.

-
allon