[Homeroast] Turning Bottomless Portafilter

Dennis Parham dparham_is at mac.com
Sun Aug 29 08:03:48 CDT 2010

Justin, he charged me 35$ for 2 of them and I threw in a 5 spot for tip since he dropped everything to do it... he obviously let me watch and it was a great learning experience... just look up a machinist locally.. its a small job and many haven't seen a portafilter so its kind of a novelty to them I bet... he did a great job.. he even tool little aluminum shims on the side to make sure not to scratch or mar the outside... Im totally happy with it! however... even though I have had bottomless portafilters before I didn't do allot of testing on temps but one thing I now notice... when portafilter is setting inside group and heated to temp it sits about 10˚ cooler than with bottom on... when water hits basket ( empty ) water temps shoot up and stabilize at 201˚ through the shot then falls off quickly back down to 189 ish ... Ive always loved the flavors I get from the bottomless , maybe I pay more attention, but the temp variable is in question of why this makes it better... hmm... for me, that is, and many who like this style.... maybe it keeps group from overheating when setting still?? hmm... more tests coming...

Dennis Parham