[Homeroast] Turning Bottomless Portafilter

Justin Schwarz houstini at comcast.net
Sat Aug 28 23:33:08 CDT 2010

This is kind of becoming a dead horse but i'll throw in my 2¢, I have done a few of these using nothing more than vice grips on a bench, a cordless drill and a dremel.  I attached to the first part of the handle that is metal arranged in such a way that if the drill were to sieze in the process it would not fly away.  I used a 2" hole saw and a cordless drill with plenty of cutting oil, brass is pretty soft stuff so as long as you are using low speed it didnt seem all that dangerous to me. If you are not familiar with drilling metal be careful (especially when the hole is almost complete), but no need to be afraid of the relatively simple process. A cordless drill with a clutch chuck works great. Once the hole was cut finishing touches were performed with a dremel, no sharp edges.

The only time I have injured myself drilling through metal was with an electric (plug in type) drill they are far less forgiving than a cordless. 1/2 inch hole through 3/8" steel overhead on top of a 12' ladder, the bit siezed as I punched through the last bit of the hole and twisted my hand pretty bad, broke the bit, droped the drill and almost fell off the ladder.

With all of that being said, the one Dennis had professionally turned in a machine shop looks beautiful and I am jealous about that perfect bevel on the underside, how much did it cost?