[Homeroast] Monday Morning Cup

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 17:14:20 CDT 2010

"These pots went out of favor with the masses for many reasons, these are
some of them."

I doubt that heat-distress breakage incidents had anything to do with the
market demise of vacuum brewers.

Vacuum brewers, especially using glass rods, do require care and a small
(but not insignificant) amount of skill to get them working properly.

They also break from fumbling in the sink during washing in ways that metal
pots don't, so breakage does figure into a sense of fragility in some way.
Think Chemex and you'll understand what I mean.

If I recall correctly, vacuum brewers were eclipsed by percolaters, touted
at the time as convenience miracles. That percolaters were also essentially
indestructible probably figured into their longevity and success as well.

It took a very long time (decades) for the notion that percolaters were
incapable of making good coffee to enter the market's psyche, a veritable
sea of bad coffee. At the time they were introduced, though, their simple
convenience made them a phenomenon, a tsunami that washed away all the
better alternatives.

Thanks.
Doug