[Homeroast] Monday Morning Cup

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 16:59:50 CDT 2010

Hi Rich,

The "terminal heat burst" is more like a terminal heat nudge, and
it's doesn't seem to be increasing the temp much over the temp that it
already is.
Also, the water in the upper vessel doesn't start down for another 30-45
seconds after taking the whole pot off the heat, which gives the lower
vessel a chance to cool (probably quite substantially) before first contact
between upper and lower liquid.

I've imploded a vacpot once, long before I started "the nudge." I've been
using "the nudge" for a year now, and nary a distress creak from the glass
in either of my two pots.
Interesting thought, though. Thanks for the input.

Doug

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Rich <rich-mail at octoxol.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> fines."
>>
>> RayO, this is the first I think I've seen you actually and sincerely
>> recommending something that big coffee does! :)
>>
>> But seriously, RayO, what are you trying to fix? The problem's under
>> control. The fix is in.
>>
>> There's not really a problem here left to solve. Given a "good" grinder,
>> the
>> simple application of the terminal heat burst should prevent all problems
>> with stalling and drawdown delays in the Yama 5- and 8-cup stovetop vacuum
>> brewers when using a Cory rod. Period. A "good" grinder, in this case, is
>> the Baratza Virtuoso, which is the grinder I used to demonstrate the
>> efficacy of the technique in question.
>>
>> Maybe a "lousy" grinder will still prevent the heat burst from working.
>> Chris' experience points in that direction. Maybe the Cona rod instead of
>> the Cory might complicate things, as Cherry's experience might indicate
>> (the
>> jury's still out on Cherry's situation).
>>
>> But, from my perspective, there's no need for a "great-grinder upgrade" to
>> fix vacpot drawdown problems. I recommend a top-quality grinder for the
>> purposes of improving the flavor in the cup.
>>
>> I upgraded to the Baratza Vario, and my cups improved markedly. But I
>> didn't
>> need that upgrade to get the glass rod vacpot to behave. That problem was
>> already sussed.
>>
>> So what problem are you actually trying to fix here, RayO?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Doug
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM, <raymanowen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> <...the Mazzer Mini nor the Cimbali Max Hybrid are "great" grinders>
>>>
>>> They are great grinders in Name only.
>>>

>>>  - The acid test would be to set up the worst, most problematic coffee
>>>  brewing event-
>>>  - First execute the entire brew cycle with water only, no coffee
>>>  whatsoever-
>>>  - 2nd, repeat with the correct quantity of roasted, unground coffee
>>>  beans-
>>>
>>> Did you experience any stalls, so far? Not much coffee either, Huh?
>>>
>>> To advance from no stalls but no coffee you may need to reduce the
>>> particulate size of the roasted coffee sample. I suggest the machine to
>>> use
>>> between Roasting and Brewing might have the moniker: GRINDER. Sometimes
>>> called a GRINDER. Or you could use a GRINDER.
>>>
>>> Don't attempt to use one of the glittering amusements made for little
>>> Rollo
>>> before his pre-school graduation. They look like, but don't function like
>>> real cars, tractors, grinders...
>>>
>>> If we still try to use one of Rollo's toys as adults, the mental health
>>> bill
>>> hasn't been proposed, and the asylum hasn't been built that will do any
>>> good. The hope is caseless.
>>>
>>> Until things change, do as Rich suggests and Big Coffee does- sift out
>>> fines. I might suggest an alternative hobby- shooting and reloading.