[Homeroast] How can five words take so long?

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Thu Aug 26 10:06:00 CDT 2010

On Aug 25, 2010, at 5:47 PM, kevin creason wrote:

> You should have planned ahead and had some decaf ready.

hah hah. Actually, the machine is at work, and I had to go home for dinner and to play with the kids.

This morning, I pulled my first shots on the Faema. Still have a slight leak on the fitting at the bottom of the boiler, have to address that at some point...

Anyway, dialing in my technique on the HX....it's fun and tasty!

First shot was 30 sec, right on the money, but had room for improvement.
Second shot spritzed a little bit from the bottomless pf, and went slightly fast, but overall was not bad, about what I could get from my Krups thermoblock.
Third went to a coworker; it was about like the second.
Fourth, I dialed the grind a notch tighter, and got a slower extraction, a little thicker, better....

Still fighting donut extraction; have to work on my distribution :D

It's reassuring that I'm about where I left off with the Krups thermoblock. It isn't worse, and with the bottomless PF exposing my flawed technique, I now have the feedback to improve, and a kick-butt machine to do it on, too.

Thanks, Dennis!

-
allon