[Homeroast] Behmor profiles

michael kaericher mike_kae at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 07:38:38 CDT 2010

I know what you are saying but variations in ambient temperature, humidity, bean age, voltage, not to mention the actual roaster will result in profiles that are not quite the same (though they might be a good starting point).  In addition to that, even after getting a roast right, the taster might prefer a different level of roast. There is no substitute for seeing and tasting the roast in person
I think that the best way to understand a particular bean is compare as many roasts as possible.  Unfortunately, if the rate of consumption is low this can take a long time, which makes things even harder by requiring a good taste memory.     Some options:
1) Note where you are to see if anyone else has the same interest.  A meet up with other roasters is something I've intended to do for quite some time. (I'm in the Twin Cities by the way)
2) Sweet Marias sells roasted coffee (though not always what they are selling green).  You could by the roasted coffee and it's green version and use the roast as a basis for comparison.
3) Many professional roasters will let you buy the greens of coffee that they roast.  Buy greens and roasted and compare (I know that Paradise Roasters in the Twin Cities will do this)

-Mike