[Homeroast] Monday Morning Cup

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 01:44:32 CDT 2010

"Until things change, do as Rich suggests and Big Coffee does- sift out the
fines."

RayO, this is the first I think I've seen you actually and sincerely
recommending something that big coffee does! :)

But seriously, RayO, what are you trying to fix? The problem's under
control. The fix is in.

There's not really a problem here left to solve. Given a "good" grinder, the
simple application of the terminal heat burst should prevent all problems
with stalling and drawdown delays in the Yama 5- and 8-cup stovetop vacuum
brewers when using a Cory rod. Period. A "good" grinder, in this case, is
the Baratza Virtuoso, which is the grinder I used to demonstrate the
efficacy of the technique in question.

Maybe a "lousy" grinder will still prevent the heat burst from working.
Chris' experience points in that direction. Maybe the Cona rod instead of
the Cory might complicate things, as Cherry's experience might indicate (the
jury's still out on Cherry's situation).

But, from my perspective, there's no need for a "great-grinder upgrade" to
fix vacpot drawdown problems. I recommend a top-quality grinder for the
purposes of improving the flavor in the cup.

I upgraded to the Baratza Vario, and my cups improved markedly. But I didn't
need that upgrade to get the glass rod vacpot to behave. That problem was
already sussed.

So what problem are you actually trying to fix here, RayO?

Thanks.
Doug