[Homeroast] cooling the roast

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Thu Aug 26 00:23:29 CDT 2010

Some may recall it's even worse than Allon alludes to, proved quite
claringly at PNWGII '04.

Tom brought cupping samples of a bunch of Panama coffees he was checking
out. We cupped them with Tom getting to help decide which he was going to
bring in to offer on SM. There were two "ringers" in the Panama cupping. One
a stellar Robusta sample Tom had roasted, and the other what many considered
at the time THE BEST coffee in the world (ISH) which was roasted and sealed
in a mason jar hot with zero cooling. (Alchemist John's dasturdly idea and
deed:) During the cupping to a person everyone selected the same coffee as
the worst and everyone thought it was the Robusta. Nope, it was the
mistreated ISH. Sealing hot had baked the ISH to foul oblivion. FWIW good
ISH (which I haven't had in 5 years) is the only coffee I'd take over Panama
Esmeralda Gesha.

Indeed properly (within ~5min) cooling the roast to room temp is mandatory
before sealing.

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.compasscoffeeroasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/