[Homeroast] cooling the roast

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 21:54:36 CDT 2010

According to Carl Staub, Cooling the roast in under 4mins.will help to
maintain sweetness in your brew. He is the statement...
"We all look for sweetness in the cup and something we often ignore is
how we cool the coffee after we
roast it. But, it is part of the process. I don't like water
quenching, but I am a proponent of trying to cool the
coffee once it comes out of the roaster in four minutes or less. And
why do I say that? We've done
experiments using exactly the same strategy cooling the coffee in six
minutes, five minutes, and four
minutes. From six minutes to five minutes there is a small improvement
in the sweetness of the coffee.
When you go from five minutes to four minutes, the sweetness in the
cup doubles and there is a definite
chemical explanation for why that happens. This is due to sugar
solubility. The primary sugar in coffee is
sucrose. During the roasting process you fracture the sucrose and you
want to caramelize it or polymerize
it in the scientific term. But, you also have to maintain solubility.
If it doesn't come out when you put water
into it, it is not going to be a sweet cup. Having the sugar there is
one issue, being able to get it out with
hot water is another issue. If you cool it too slowly, the long series
chain polymers, sugars, fructose and
glucose will find other constituents to link up with in the coffee and
they are not as soluble.
Likewise, during the roasting process if you form molecules that are
very large, they may be favorable for
espresso extraction you will get a lot of crema. Having the starches,
oils, lipids, and fatty proteins in the
coffee is a very good thing for espresso. But, when you try to apply
that same strategy to coffee that is
going through a paper filter, the water doesn't want to go through the
filter. The larger molecules get
trapped by the paper filter and don't end up in the cup."
from SCAA Conference Transcript 2002 (Newall, Lee,Diedrich, Staub)

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:08 PM, John M. Howison <johnmhowison at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does everybody believe in  cooling the roast before storing it?  What
> is the supposed virtue of rapid cooling?
>
> I store roasted beans in ceramic jars.  I empty a still-hot roast into
> a pre-cooled ceramic jar, cap the jar, and either pop the closed jar
> into the fridge immediately or let it cool slowly on countertop.  The
> idea is to isolate the roasted beans from exposure to air (with its
> noxious oxygen) as soon as possible  While I don't claim superior
> olfactory bulbs and palate, I prefer the resulting cup, and like to
> believe that the beans would "stay fresh longer" if not promptly used.
>
> Wld like to hear from commentators endowed with sensory faculties
> better than mine.  That's probably most people.
> --
> Contra muros, mater rubicolla

Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.