[Homeroast] Behmor profiles

Jim Couch ravskau at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 20:01:47 CDT 2010

Try 1/2 Lb. with the Behmor set to 1 full Lb. P3 C pay close attention when
you get to the 8 or less minutes left let it roll through 1st and either hit
cool when you hear first snaps of 2nd or actually time 10 seconds into 2nd
crack and then hit cool but the heat will have some inertia so they will
probably continue on further into 2nd even after you hit cool. I believe Joe
says for about anothe 10-15 seconds......see if that doesn't get ya where
you wanna be.....
Jim

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Eoghan Abundell <abundell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been roasting SM beans for 8-10 years, and bought a Behmor about a
> year
> ago. I am the lone coffee drinker in the house and brew in a Technivorm to
> the 6 cup line in the AM. I buy 10-15 lbs in 1-2 lb bags at a time to save
> on shipping and drink Central/So. American beans. I always try a lot of
> different beans from the New Arrivals list and generally like to roast to
> FC+. I'm pretty laid back and definitely not as discerning as many of you.
> But the net-net is that I never get to re-order a bean that I like. So I
> get
> one shot at guessing the perfect roast.
>
> I'm in something of a (pleasant) rut. I always roast a full 1-2 lb bag of
> beans... either two 8 oz batches or three 10-11 oz batches. I set the
> Behmor
> to 1 lb., P1 (though I recently tried P2) and generally hit the cool button
> a few seconds into 2nd crack. The beans come out looking chocolaty brown.
> and compare to the SM FC+ pic.I have experimented with lighter roasts and
> when I get them right, they're great, but sometimes I under-roast and the
> coffee is thin and awful, so I mostly take the sure bet and go FC+, which I
> love.
>
> So here's my question. Wouldn't it be nice if I actually knew how other
> people roasted a specific bean. For example, I'm looking at a pound of
> green
> El Salvador Los Luchadores Pacamara. I'm sure some folks have roasted some
> in a Behmor and got it just right (or just wrong). I saw the Behmor Thing.
> Any chance someone could create a simple repository where folks could post
> their Behmor settings for specific beans? Or something like that.
>
> ~Abundell

"Idiots are so much fun! Thats why every village either has one or wants
one!"
G. House MD.