[Homeroast] i-roast 2 out os stock: gone forever? it that vein does the Behmor allow for temp monitoring?

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Wed Aug 25 13:57:22 CDT 2010

On Aug 25, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Rbt Tut wrote:

> I have a iroast-2 that I got at SM a while ago.  I was hoping to get one for
> a friend to start them roasting SM's greens.  but its
> out of stock and perhaps (???) may not be made again
>
> Horrors!  what to do?  I mod. mine with the taylor long probe through the
> top and would not be able to reproducibly
> roast with out that as my guide.
>
> can the Behmor be modified to give exact (reproducible) bean temps somehow?
>
> would that be the home roaster of choice to replace the i-roast 2 should it
> Bit the Dusk?

I used to roast with a modified IR2.
I now use a heat gun most of the time, a Z&D for light roasts, and occasionally still break out the IR2 when it's raining outside (I have it vented with variable speed fan to the outside, and have a thermocouple probe snaked inside).

If you're a control freak and like to tweak profiles, then the Behmor may not be for you. I get the impression it's like a point-and-shoot camera - it can do a fantastic job, but doesn't give you full creative control.

A hottop may be a better choice, if you like to tinker, but it is 3x the cost.
Or you can go heat-gun. I love my Masters Appliance PH-1100, but you can get by with cheaper. I got a deal on mine. And with a heat gun, you can really control things, if you try, but so far my experiments with thermocouples have been disappointing; I go more by time, smell, smoke, sound, and physical appearance of the beans than by absolute temperature.
-
allon