[Homeroast] cooling the roast

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 13:41:10 CDT 2010

I've followed a thread on Home-Barista and listened to audio transcripts of
SCAA meetings on the SCAA website that says that you increase the sweetness
of the roast (especially with paper filtered coffee) when you cool to room
temperature within four minutes.

http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/cooling-roast-and-sweetness-t14211.html

Carl Staub did experiments with cooling the roast within 6, 5, and 4 minutes
and reported little change from 6 to 5 minutes but double the sweetness from
5 to 4 minutes.  He then hypothesized that the sugars in the roast become
less soluble and are filtered out when you allow the beans to remain hot...
some have questioned if this is what's really happening, but I think that
the experimental results that show the increase in perceived sweetness is
sound.

I have now changed my roasting procedure with my Behmor to stop the cooling
cycle after a couple of minutes and dump the beans in an external bean
cooler (stainless steel steaming pot insert with holes in the bottom fitted
over a plastic storage cylinder with a shop vac drawing air down through the
bean bed) to bring my temps down within this time and have noticed an
improvement.  The Behmor is very good at dropping the temps from the 450+ F
range to 200 - 300 F, but hits a knee and slows way down due to retained
heat in the oven taking it to room, so I'll let the Behmor start the job and
finish it myself.  As soon as I extract the drum, I restart the cooling
cycle on the Behmor, and I wear Ove Gloves for protection.

-Chris