[Homeroast] cooling the roast

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Wed Aug 25 13:17:12 CDT 2010

On Aug 25, 2010, at 2:08 PM, John M. Howison wrote:

> Does everybody believe in  cooling the roast before storing it?  What
> is the supposed virtue of rapid cooling?
>
> I store roasted beans in ceramic jars.  I empty a still-hot roast into
> a pre-cooled ceramic jar, cap the jar, and either pop the closed jar
> into the fridge immediately or let it cool slowly on countertop.  The
> idea is to isolate the roasted beans from exposure to air (with its
> noxious oxygen) as soon as possible  While I don't claim superior
> olfactory bulbs and palate, I prefer the resulting cup, and like to
> believe that the beans would "stay fresh longer" if not promptly used.
>
> Wld like to hear from commentators endowed with sensory faculties
> better than mine.  That's probably most people.

While the beans are still hot, roasting is still happening.
Decisively cooling the beans will stop the roast at that point.
Oxygen isn't the #1 enemy. TIME is. I'm not saying that oxygen doesn't play a role, but you can leave your beans in an open jar for a while and not worry about it. You don't have to rush them into a sealed container right after the roast at the expense of not cooling them.

If you are in doubt, then conduct an experiment - take a roast, put half in a jar and seal it immediately, put the other half on a cool aluminum cookie sheet. When you've gotten back from putting the jar the fridge, the beans on the tray should be cool. If not, stir them around a bit until they're cool enough to handle. You might even blow a fan on them, and get them down to room temp pretty quickly. Then seal them in a jar and leave it on the countertop.

Wait one week.

Prepare two cups of coffee, one from each batch.
Taste them both paying close attention, take notes.

Report.
-
allon