[Homeroast] cooling the roast

John M. Howison johnmhowison at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 13:08:22 CDT 2010

Does everybody believe in  cooling the roast before storing it?  What
is the supposed virtue of rapid cooling?

I store roasted beans in ceramic jars.  I empty a still-hot roast into
a pre-cooled ceramic jar, cap the jar, and either pop the closed jar
into the fridge immediately or let it cool slowly on countertop.  The
idea is to isolate the roasted beans from exposure to air (with its
noxious oxygen) as soon as possible  While I don't claim superior
olfactory bulbs and palate, I prefer the resulting cup, and like to
believe that the beans would "stay fresh longer" if not promptly used.

Wld like to hear from commentators endowed with sensory faculties
better than mine.  That's probably most people.
--
Contra muros, mater rubicolla