[Homeroast] Monday Morning Cup

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 16:21:00 CDT 2010

Not only do I love the Chemex brew process, but it is expedient for the
morning weekday cup.  My Wife started teaching this year and is leaving the
house early, so I've been setting the alarm for 5:30 and stumbling
downstairs at 5:45 to make coffee and oatmeal before she leaves.  Now with
my folks in town helping out, I've doubled the size of my coffee batches and
tripled my coffee consumption so I've had to come up with a good way to make
more coffee in a hurry with easy clean-up and I've decided to stick with the
Chemex.

I'm still using and loving my one hole stopper with the metal piece from a
liquor bottle pour spout stuck in it to reduce the flow from my thrift store
kettle and it's working great.  The new kettle sealed too well so the water
used to gush and gutter out, but I learned not to completely seal the lid so
that some air can get in and allow the water to flow freely.  I also was
frustrated by my kitchen scale shutting off before I was done so I found
that my empty large steaming pitcher plus two 3 oz brew bells and a tamper
are within two grams of my empty Chemex so I can re-tare my scale after
brewing to bring the water up to 1.2 liters to finish it off.

All this work to avoid an automatic drip coffeemaker, but I think it's worth
it.  I still have that Bunn in the garage, but then I'd have to dial that in
with grind and tricks to avoid bloom issues.  Switching brew methods is
interesting.  It'd been so long since I had tried syphon that I had to
really think about how I was going to do it.  Everything I had worked out
before as second nature had to be re-discovered.  It would probably be the
same way if I stopped using the Chemex and came back to it after six months
or a year.  This is reminding me of what Bryan Wray said on the "How long do
you rest your roast" thread:

 I like a coffee in a press first (day 2-4), then vac (4-6), then drip
> (5-9,10) then espresso (5,6- 15ish depending)- dry/natural process-
> varietal.

That's a lot of different brew methods to cycle through.  I guess if you
switch it up all the time it'll get to be second nature to just take a bean
and decide how you want to brew it that day.

So, back to the expedient question, I wonder what method others use to brew
larger then normal amounts of brewed coffee for guests.  For me it's Chemex
at home and stainless steel press pots if I'm making coffee in the field.

-Chris