[Homeroast] Monday Morning Cup

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 14:54:17 CDT 2010

Hi Cherry,

Thanks for the feedback. It's really interesting that you found the spirit
lamp to be a help in the process, but it's very cool that you're able to
make your perfect cup with confidence.

I do know how disappointing it is to lose "that morning pot of loveliness,"
and I remember how just the possibility of it made me cringe with every pot
I made. I almost gave up the vacuum pot because of it. It was very
frustrating, because the good pots simply reminded me of how superior the
method can be, especially when compared against the unavoidable taint of the
cloth filters.

It's possible that your problem was compounded by a stove burner that didn't
go low enough. I'm lucky to have a gas stove, for one thing, but also lucky
that the burners are capable of a very low heat, so that when the vapor
bursts as the water finishes rising, it's a very gentle murmur, not the
volcano blast that many have reported.

I had an electric stove for a short time last year, and that was very
frustrating, as I couldn't adjust the heat fast enough. I took to
pre-heating two burners, one for high and one for low, and shifted the pot
between them to get the quick heat adjustments that I needed.

Funny, it was the spirit lamp on a Hario 2-cup that made me think I
preferred the stove to the spirit lamp, hands down. You've had the opposite
experience.

But we're both getting our perfect cup, so who's to say whether one's better
than the other? Nice that we have the option for both.

Enjoy your morning cup, Cherry!

Yours,
Doug