[Homeroast] Guatemala Oriente Dry-Process

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Tue Aug 24 10:14:30 CDT 2010

On Aug 24, 2010, at 10:02 AM, miKe mcKoffee wrote:

> FWIW an interesting in depth discussion on pros and cons of dry-processing
> in Countries that normally wet-process.
> http://www.jimseven.com/2010/02/10/the-naturals-debate/

Interesting. Thanks for posting that. However, if you like the particular flavor profile of DP's, then it is desirable. It's not a fanaticism thing, it has nothing to do with the idea of DP, just the flavors.  And of course, like most consumers, we're blind to the cost of that flavor, and this article does pose some eye-openers, such as risk for the farmer. I argue that if you can produce a desirable product, there are rewards too, if you can get top dollar for your product. That may not always be possible.

The argument that washed coffees yield higher quality is moot. I'm interested low quality DP coffees. Washed coffees make it easier to get higher quality at a lower cost, but you don't get the same character as a quality DP. A clean cup isn't always what I'm after :D

the original article referenced is here:
http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/blog/view/7973
which puts the "obsession with dry-processed coffees" argument in it's original perspective.

And I'm not a fanatic. I like variety. I like washed coffees and naturals alike. But the ones I really really remember are the IMVs, the, Costa Rica Brumas DP, Guatemala Oriente, Mexico Organic Nayarit, Brazil Ipanema....

-
allon