[Homeroast] Monday Morning Cup

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 14:22:07 CDT 2010

Being Monday with the Wife needing to get to school early for a meeting and
my folks needing to leave early to drop the kids at school (I get a break
this week), I brewed up a large Chemex pot ov Guatemala Huehuetenango Finca
La Maravilla.  It was very nice, and it's rapidly disappearing.  I'm
thinking of roasting up the last of this bean, another 430 g, tonight to use
for the rest of the week.  The coffee was great hot and tasted great as it
cooled too.

I'd previously reported problems I'd had with large Chemex pots.  I'm fine
with doing half pots yielding 600 ml, but could not get full pots to drain
in five minutes.  Today I brewed with about the same water I'd use for a
half pot... just the amount that I can run through in five minutes (plus the
30 second bloom) and then added the balance of the water to bring the pot up
to 1.2 liters of coffee.  That gave the Wife and my parents each a cup,
myself a large travel cup, and some left over for the thermos for when my
folks want some more.

It's making me wonder why I'm keeping that "backup" Bunn drip coffee maker
in the garage.

-Chris