[Homeroast] Moving From WhirleyPop to Behmor

Jim Couch ravskau at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 19:20:55 CDT 2010

Put a Half Lb. in the drum and lie to it....tell the roaster it's one pound
use the c button and get very close with 8-6 mins left, when you hear a good
1st crack going then listen for first crack to end and or 2nd to begin
depending on what you are going for.....
Jim

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Dean <dean_schaffran at wildblue.net> wrote:

>  Hi Dan,
>
> I know a little about how you might feel--I just recently got a Behmor
> after years of roasting in a pair of split-wired Rostos with Variac heat
> control & digital thermocouple thermometers.  One of the motors tossed a
> bearing so I was down to no spare roaster. <Horrors!>  I described that
> situation to non-coffee-roasting friends and I goet nothing but the goofy
> look.
>
> A small frustration at first was no way to sample bean temperature.
> (OK--it's still frustrating).  Also the roast development seems to be very
> differnet--the hot air roaster got 1/3# of beans to yellow/tan in 4-5
> minutes and then evenly to first C and second C.  I usually tried for a
> total roast time of around 14-16 minutes for a FC-FC+.  Behmor 1/2#-P3-D-++
> takes >10 min to get to yellow/tan and 12-13 min to start of 1C,  tops out
> at 16 min, which has been barely adequate on a few of my first roasts.   I
> need to work it a bit--maybe try the P1 cycle or use less weight.  I hope I
> get the hang of this one faster than I did the Rostos.
>
> Best of luck!
>
> Dean
>
> Coffee roasting in da weeds
>

> On 8/17/2010 7:25 AM, Dan Kellgren wrote:
>
>> Just ordered (well, Friday night) the Behmor 1600 roaster from SM (with
>> the
>> nice 8lbs. of included greens).  I've roasted for YEARS with my manual
>> stainless WhirleyPop, Coleman stove, stopwatch, Fluke digital thermometer,
>> flashlight, and collendar with fan for cooling.  UPS says it arrives
>> Monday.  Can't wait to experiment!
>>
>> Dan

"Idiots are so much fun! Thats why every village either has one or wants
one!"
G. House MD.