[Homeroast] Moving From WhirleyPop to Behmor

Dean dean_schaffran at wildblue.net
Tue Aug 17 18:55:53 CDT 2010

  Hi Dan,

I know a little about how you might feel--I just recently got a Behmor
after years of roasting in a pair of split-wired Rostos with Variac
heat control & digital thermocouple thermometers.  One of the motors
tossed a bearing so I was down to no spare roaster. <Horrors!>  I
described that situation to non-coffee-roasting friends and I goet
nothing but the goofy look.

A small frustration at first was no way to sample bean temperature.
(OK--it's still frustrating).  Also the roast development seems to be
very differnet--the hot air roaster got 1/3# of beans to yellow/tan in
4-5 minutes and then evenly to first C and second C.  I usually tried
for a total roast time of around 14-16 minutes for a FC-FC+.  Behmor
1/2#-P3-D-++ takes >10 min to get to yellow/tan and 12-13 min to start
of 1C,  tops out at 16 min, which has been barely adequate on a few of
my first roasts.   I need to work it a bit--maybe try the P1 cycle or
use less weight.  I hope I get the hang of this one faster than I did
the Rostos.

Best of luck!

Dean

Coffee roasting in da weeds