[Homeroast] How long do you rest your roast?

Starfinder Stanley coffee at starf.org
Tue Aug 17 16:47:38 CDT 2010

I guess I rest them until I run out, then I roast more.  Usually that seems
to be less than a week, and as others have said, I enjoy the evolution of
the cuppa over that time, just as I enjoy the evolution of the cuppa over
the 15-20 minutes I take to drink it.  It's amazing what a multilayered
experience we can get from just a single varietal, when you think about
it....  I think most beans start to get a little long in the tooth after
about 2 weeks; some still taste quite nice, but some of the unique notes
have wandered off, and it can be a bit more difficult to ID the varietal by
taste alone.  I usually seal in a mason and rest them at cool room temp...
if it were hotter, I might keep them in the fridge.  I find that
refrigerating the beans makes them taste a week old immediately, but they
are more stable for longer....

As far as darker roasts, once the oils surface, they seem to go rancid
pretty darned quickly, one reason char-bucks can taste so nasty....  So no
rest for the wicked seems like good advice there.  Or at least, as little
rest as possible.

...Starfinder