[Homeroast] How long do you rest your roast?

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 13:50:28 CDT 2010

Running a test as we sip- a pour-over paper filtered drip for Best Use of
one of my Captain Morgan spiced rum steins. 15g Panama Finca La Carmiseta,
(FC) 11Aug roast in 15oz water at 201° F. [just below Full Boil here, a few
bubbles rising as I started pouring it]

15oz : 15g- that's my 1:1, 142 hours' rest- the flavor is really coming out
of the cocoon. Just a little puff of "Hello" from the Mason jar since
yesterday evening but Wow! The Aroma! Now it's in liquid form, and this was
the "Train wreck Bright" shot right after I roasted.

Imagine keeping an open bowl of peanuts or peanut butter in the cupboard-
roasted coffee beans in a jute bag fare no better than the peanuts or potato
chips with the oxygen- they go stale. Roasted coffee beans evolve CO2 gas as
the flavor develops; happily, the lighter O2 molecules float on top as long
as the beans and gases are contained.

The open weave of a cloth bag might keep butterflies out, but CO2 would flow
out just like water as oxygen molecules flow in to replace them. Then begins
the cohabitation, that you could prevent if you kept the roasted beans
submerged in CO2 that displaces O2.

Hope you really enjoy the aroma of sacks of roasted coffee beans. Everything
you smell before you brew will be gone when you brew.

With some care, maybe you could preserve fresh roasted flavor and aroma for
a month.

But why?

Cheers, Mabuhay und Schöne Kaffeegeschmack für Alle -RayO, aka Opa!
--
Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...