[Homeroast] Moving From WhirleyPop to Behmor

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 12:46:09 CDT 2010

Congrats, Dan, I think you'll really enjoy it.

I highly recommend checking out the BehmorThing program if you run a PC or
emulation software at www.behmorthing.com to track your roasts.  I know that
it really helped me with the Behmor learning curve and it also tracks
inventory and temperature during the roast, very nice.  Ira keeps updating
it with community suggestions.

Other then that, you'll have to get used to a different way of thinking
about roasting.  The Behmor runs a program so you need to plan out most of
your roast in advance while manual methods give you more on-the-fly
control.  The BehmorThing program has a duplicate roast feature that you can
use to plan a new roast based on your last roast of the bean and track the
changes, and you can also use tricks like opening the door after first to
slow the roast, etc.  I've been running the Behmor for one minute with the
chaff tray in and without the drum to heat it up prior to the roast so that
my summer and winter roasts are more closely correlated.  The garage isn't
temp controlled, but I'm in California, so it doesn't get brutally cold or
hot.  I've also been using more P3 and P4 roasts then P2 as I'm drinking
more espresso, and with the P3 and P4 roasts I tend to open the door at or
after first to stretch between first and second crack.  I like load sizes
between 10 oz and a full pound for my roasts but usually roast around 13 oz.

Enjoy your toy, I'm waiting on a Vario myself and can't wait.

-Chris