[Homeroast] How long do you rest your roast?

Bryan Wray bwray_thatcoffeeguy at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 20:59:46 CDT 2010

For me things that tend to qualify a longer rest are:- lighter roast- higher elevation- length of time from start of first to end of roast (longer span= longer rest)- obviously method of brewing.  I like a coffee in a press first (day 2-4), then vac (4-6), then drip (5-9,10) then espresso (5,6- 15ish depending)- dry/natural process- varietal. Catui, high grown Typica (but that could be an elevation thing only) and the SL coffees seem to open up later to me.
Had a killer, I mean KILLER shot of Kenya today that was 25 days out.  Didn't think it was really all that possible, but the thing tasted like blackberry preserves spread on wheat toast.  Freakin' delicious.
Not to sound like a know-it-all in the least, but darker roasts break down the cell walls more so it seems kind of obvious to me that it would deteriorate faster.  Yeah?  Or am I just jumping to unfounded conclusions...?
-bry

Bryan Wray

Nor'West Coffee

360.831.1480

Bryan at NorWestCoffee.com

It is my hope that people realize that coffee is more than just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art- Chris Owens