[Homeroast] How long do you rest your roast?

Tim TenClay teejtc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 17:17:58 CDT 2010

I'm strange, I guess (no surprise), but I like almost everything at about 3
days.  I like darker flavor profiles and don't tend to care for the brighter
flavors which seem (to me, at least) to show up at about day 5-8ish.  If I
roast something that's really bright, I'll often drink it days 1-3 (or so)
and then let it sit until days 10 or more so the brightness can diminish
again.

I also tend to give lighter roasts longer rests... the darker the roast the
more you taste the roast (and the less you taste the bean), so they tend to
need less resting time.

well... that's worth about a grain of sand... :-)

Grace and Peace,
  `tim

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Allon Stern <allon at radioactive.org> wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2010, at 4:35 PM, Seth Grandeau wrote:
>
> > I find that some of the fruity Kenyans and Ethiopians keep opening up
> > their flavor over the first week, peaking around day 6 or 7 and
> > tasting great all the way through 2 and sometimes 3 weeks.  I've never
> > had one last longer than 3 weeks, so I can't really tell you what
> > their like after that. :)
>
> They go stale. I've overroasted and enjoyed the aging, until I didn't enjoy
> it anymore.
> I'd say around 2 weeks is probably good, three weeks is declining, and
> after that is just icky.
> -
> allon

This message may contain information which is privileged or confidential; if
you are not the intended recipient, please delete immediately.  Do not
forward or make any of the above content publicly available without
permission of the original author.
--
Rev. Tim TenClay, D.Min.
Personal Blog: http://lexorandi.tenclay.org