[Homeroast] New York Times article on adding water to wineandcoffee

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 19:35:19 CDT 2010

I made a little travel kit out of a case I picked up at a thrift store
designed to carry Wii game remotes for my coffee tools.
http://www.ezgear.com/Wii/Wii_ezTote.html.  I had to cut down the top handle
of the AeroPress stirring tool to make it fit but it holds that plus
AeroPress filters, a mini-whisk, coffee scoops, etc to make a light travel
kit.  I also bring a hand grinder an AeroPress or CCD.  I estimate that a
regular coffee scoop is 7 g and the AeroPress coffee scoop (which I use to
measure at home) is 14 g.  That's why most of my measurements for ground
coffee are in multiples of 7 and 14 g.  Since the regular scoop fits better
for traveling I use that now.

Thanks for the conversions to fluid ounces... I've weaned myself off of
using ounces for measurements now and just use grams and ml to make things
easier.  The hardest part for me was thinking of green coffee inventory in
kg instead of pounds, and it's still a work in progress, but I've got about
20 kilos of greens in inventory now (very roughly 45 pounds).

The measurement for water for two cups (450 ml) is just below the top of the
filters I'm using after dialing it in and measuring it, I just eyeball it
now.  I find it much more difficult to estimate 225 ml for a single cup,
though, because of the tapered sides of the CCD, so I'll usually measure
this if I'm really going to do a single cup.  I'm really loving the CCD and
have one at work... I was using both of them for side-by-side for comparing
different things like aerating coffee.

-Chris