[Homeroast] New York Times article on adding water to wineandcoffee

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 16:25:18 CDT 2010

Chris,

Thanks for the data on how much water is soaked up by the grounds. It
will dramatically shorten the amount of experimenting I will need to
do to nail the CCD down at the grind I use.

I was just up in Michigan and used the CCD to make coffee for the
drive home to SC. I had #2 filters and used 40 grams of coffee grounds
for 16 oz of brewed coffee, so I did what you are discussing... just
brewed with the water that fit, then added hot water to bring the
concentrated brew up to 10 oz.

I have used the hot water trick quite a lot. I usually use the moka
pot, 22 grams of grounds for a 6-tasa pot, and that is too strong for
many people, so I serve the cup with lots of room at the top and make
hot water available for people to add in the same way that they might
add milk to other coffee, and it works quite well.

Brian