[Homeroast] New York Times article on adding water to wineandcoffee

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 15:15:02 CDT 2010

My formula is 28 g coffee + 450 ml water for a full CCD which yields two 200
ml cups.  I've also made single cups at 14 g coffee and 225 ml water for a
single 200 ml cup.  In either case, I use two timers, the first set for 30
seconds to take care of the bloom using about 50 ml of water and the second
set for five minutes for the extraction.  Both these methods have resulted
in cups within the desired TDS and % extraction: 1.2-1.45% TDS and 18-22%
extraction.

I use the same timers for Chemex and have good luck making 600 ml (half pot)
in the Chemex using these same timings and grind as for the CCD.  I use 42 g
coffee and 675 ml water for a 600 ml pot.  This theoretically yields three
200 ml cups, but in practice fills up my Wife's travel mug with about 200 ml
and mine with about 400 ml for the commute to work in the morning.  I really
enjoy the Chemex and it's increasing my coffee consumption in the morning
which makes up for the fact that I don't drink coffee until I have a chance
to make it again either at work in the afternoon or when I get home.

Where this is all falling apart on me is for the full Chemex pot.  I've
tried grinding much coarser using 1350 ml of water and 84 g coffee to yield
1200 ml of brewed coffee, but it just won't drain in five minutes... it's
taking about nine minutes to pour the water through for this size batch
which worries me even though it is tasting good.  The TDS and % Extraction
were also on the high side, 1.53 % and 22.11 % respectively.  Any tips for
making full Chemex pots?  I don't get much of a chance to experiment since I
need company to use this volume of coffee.

Maybe I should take a tip from this NYT article and just add water... do the
bypass brewing trick and use less water for the Chemex extraction, whatever
volume will drain in five minutes with 84 g coffee and make up for the
volume by adding in hot water to the concentrated brew after the fact.  Does
this make sense?

-Chris