[Homeroast] New York Times article on adding water to wine and coffee

Maxwell Heathcott mheathcott at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 1 23:27:12 CDT 2010

Agreed. I found the coffee bit of the article a little dodgy compared to the alcohol portion. For one thing, dissolved coffee solids and ideal flavor profile certainly have something to do with grounds to water ratio, but they also have a lot to do with water temp, grind, and dwell time. More significantly, I found it odd that HM stated the 12g:180g coffee to water ratio as a REDUCTION in strength, since that's actually just a hair MORE than the "standard" dose that most of the third-wave coffee houses go by (at least in my conversations with them, a 15g:250g dose--i.e. about 11g:180g--is the ballpark starting point that I go by with a new coffee for all non-espresso methods).

MH