[Homeroast] New York Times article on adding water to wine and coffee

John A C Despres johndespres at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 21:15:02 CDT 2010

Ah, a little more history... Wine, in it's infancy, in The Fertile Crescent
then into Greece as mentioned and on to Rome was traditionally diluted with
water by roughly 50% and shared from a common vessel. Greek symposia which
surrounded wine and food lasted longer if all the participants weren't blind
drunk. Besides, at most gatherings, drunkenness was somewhat frowned upon.

Maybe we've come full circle with wine?

As to coffee, I always add water. But just enough to make the perfect cup.
I'll try a lighter brew tomorrow. Interesting how the author mentioned
lighter roasts for a better tasting cup.

John