[Homeroast] CNN's report on coffee

Jim Gundlach pecanjim at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 30 16:14:51 CDT 2010

The root of this problem is the definition of "conclusive scientific
results"  To meet this criteria, the studies have to use double blind
experimental research methods.  This requires randomly assigning human
subjects to two groups, one exposed to coffee and the other not. This
has to be done in a way that the subjects do not know what they were
exposed to.  The basic fact is that this kind of research is
impossible with human subjects and coffee.  The non-experimental
results simply relies on studies that ask people about their coffee
consumption and correlate that with data on their health conditions.
These results may not meet the scientific ideal of a double blind
experimental study but it is best we can get.  Sometimes we have to
rely on less ideal research methods.  For example it is not
experimental  results that tell us directly that drunk drivers are
more likely to have accidents that kill people.  Just because we
cannot conduct a double blind experiment on the effect of drunk
driving does not mean we should feel free to consume a lot of alcohol
and then go on out and drive because the asserted relationship is not
based on the ideal scientific research method.
       The evidence of the effects of reasonable levels of coffee
consumption on health is generally positive.  If the results were
negative I am sure there would be massive campaigns to make people
quit drinking coffee even though the results were not based on the
best research methods.
       For what it is worth, this comment is from someone who has
taught research methods for slightly more than three decades.

         pecan jim