[Homeroast] Amateurs/Professionals & Craftsmen/Artists

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 30 15:24:55 CDT 2010

Personally, I like to avoid the term 'amateur' for those very reasons and instead prefer the term 'independant'. In most peoples' minds, amateur seems to suggest second rate, or wannabe. But I have met MANY "professional" Barista's that don't know anything about coffee (in my not so humble opinion). Some of them former co-workers at coffee houses. In her case, the term "professional Barista" had absolutely no correlation with skill behind the bar- it only correlates with time, specifically her experience doing it poorly for 10 years.

--
Ryan M. Ward

http://www.ubuntu.com