[Homeroast] Chemex

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 15:45:50 CDT 2010

As a former devoted 35-year Chemex user, I think it's fair for me to observe
that both types of filter impart paper flavor, and filter some of the
desirable flavors of the delicate oils.

The Chemex beats the crap out of the usual filter drip coffeemakers,
especially the ones with plastic components (nearly all of them), so it's
still one of the best options out there. If you've got to use paper, then
the Chemex is one of your best bets.

But that's one of the reasons why I brew with a vacuum pot and glass filter
rod these days. Nothing but coffee in the cup.

Actually, in a choice between a vacuum pot with cloth filters and a Chemex,
I think I'd opt for the Chemex. But with a glass rod, it's the vacuum pot
all the way.

Doug