[Homeroast] Balzac's Pleasures and Pains of Coffee

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Wed Apr 28 08:06:07 CDT 2010

On Apr 27, 2010, at 10:48 PM, Joseph Robertson wrote:
> I do remember being an art student once back in college. Am I an artist
> because of it. Some say I would be if I sold my creations. I don't consider
> myself one. Now I'm a coffee Padawan. The question really is when do I go
> from a coffee Padawan to a coffee professional or an artist? One year, two
> years, 30 years, is it really time based. I'm still a grasshopper and I'm
> sure I will be here long time, me thinks.

I would argue that many of us here are amateurs.  We are amateurs because we roast and brew out of love of the bean, not for money. That is the true meaning of amateur - one who engages in a pursuit out of love. That doesn't mean that we are incompetent; many amateurs produce far greater product than a great many professionals.

There are a few pros on this list, who roast and brew for money, but the pros on this list wouldn't be here if they weren't also amateurs at heart. It's the folks who are in it only for money, who don't care about the product, that product stuff that is only "good enough", and appeal to the masses for a given price point who produce dreck. There really ought to be a word for that, the nonamateur professional.

-
allon