[Homeroast] Balzac's Pleasures and Pains of Coffee

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 18:22:05 CDT 2010

I found the following information about famous coffee fans/fiends at the
British Coffee Association page:

*Famous coffee connections*
> • The French philosopher Voltaire reportedly drank fifty cups of coffee a
> day
>
> • Bach wrote his Kaffee Kantate as a tribute to his favourite drink
>
> • Sir Francis Bacon once said of coffee “The drink that comforteth the
> brain and heart and help digestion”
>
> • Verdi was quoted as saying “Coffee is balm to the heart and spirit”
>
> • Sir James Mackintosh, the philosopher, once said “the powers of a man’s
> mind are directly proportionate to the quantity of coffee he drinks”

http://www.britishcoffeeassociation.org/page_history_m_5.aspx

This information was surprisingly hard to come by, as my Google search for
famous coffee _fiends_ turned up mostly results for _friends_ not _fiends_.
Sigh.

-Chris