[Homeroast] OT: Colleges & Relocation, was: Judith Duclona

Lynne lynnebiz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 11:38:22 CDT 2010

Hi Ryan (and the rest of SM's list!!)

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Ryan M. Ward <silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
> wrote:

> Oh Lynne, you are a college student! What are you studying?!
> (Sorry, I am obsessed with education... and coffee... and chess... I'll
> stop now...)

Ha - me too (not chess, though - not yet, at least). I've been in my local
CC so long, and have
taken so many classes outside of my Liberal Arts major that they really,
really want me to leave.

My fin aid was denied until I changed my major to Web Development - I want
to learn some, but
not major in this. Nevertheless, it's time I move on, so I'm searching for 4
yr schools - and eventually
beyond.

I'm looking into UMass Amherst's University Without Walls program - two look
attractive to me.
One is Journalism (for me, it would be online writing), the other is
Sustainable Entrepreneurship,
which sounds really interesting.

But I'm really obsessed w/other cultures, ethnic art, etc. - telling a
story, in many different ways.
I'd love to combine writing, art, photography - whatever it takes. Sigh...
hard to find such a unique
program...

I've been concentrating on finding online programs, since I now have a very
beautiful, comfortable
apt situation by the ocean, north of Boston.

HOWEVER (and I'm writing this to everyone for any thoughts (to stay on topic
on SM's list, please
PM me), my landlord has had a few people come in to assess the property "for
insurance" purposes.

Today my gut tells me this was a realtor.

Sigh... hopefully I'm wrong - but if I *am* right, I should explore other
college programs, since I would be
eventually needing a new home. I'm actually going to ask them - best to get
this out in the open, if they
are thinking of it. And who knows, I might be wrong!

So - if anyone knows of any unique college programs (since I just became a
grandma, I'm a bit oldER than
most students), with not really high living costs (I'm living on a low
disability)... PM me!

Lynne