[Homeroast] Initial feedback on ElSalvador Apaneca Illamatepec?

ricky carter rickylc99 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 12:22:59 CDT 2010

My guess would be you are closer to C or C+ of you stopped the roast right
at the end of 1st crack.  The times seem about right.  I have decided on a
slightly larger load for the Behmor, I typically use 300 grams now.  It
seems to give me a more even roast.  You should roast the same bean all the
way into a good 2nd crack and then adjust times shorter from there to get to
where you want to be on subsequent roasts.  For FC, I  go to the first
outlier cracks of 2nd before ending the roast.

The preheating is only effective on P3-P5. The preheat is done using P1 for
up to 2 minutes.  I look at this as the equivalent to the "drop" in a
traditional drum roaster, it puts heat into the beans quickly to get them up
to the start of the roast stages.  P3-P5 first legs seem to lack the ooomph
to get this done on their own.