[Homeroast] Using CO2 to preserve freshness?

Ed Needham roast at homeroaster.com
Tue Apr 20 23:49:05 CDT 2010

Although CO2 and oxygen are both involved in the staling process of roasted
coffee, there are also many other reactions, too numerous to detail, and
many that are undocumented, that enter into the process.  Suffice to say,
roasted coffee changes over time.  Some of those changes are regarded as
positive by some, and negative for others.  I like coffee fresh from the
roaster.  Others like to rest beans for weeks.  Whatever you call it, it is
a staling process that includes oxidation, vaporization of volatile oils,
evaporation of flavonoids and aromas, chemical leeching, probably acids and
bases combining, oils turning rancid, and  who knows what else.
Removing oxygen by replacing it with nitrogen or CO2 only removes one part
of the staling process.  Roasted beans have been shipped in nitrogen flushed
Mylar bags since the '70's.  I know this to be true because White Coffee
Company in Long Island City shipped beans to my coffeehouse business in the
late '70's in Mylar bags flushed with nitrogen. I really believe that the
most complete way to delay the staling process is to freeze the roasted
beans at 0F or colder.
Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homeroaster.com