[Homeroast] Using CO2 to preserve freshness?

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Mon Apr 19 19:34:01 CDT 2010

In the context of "does oxygen need to be present for flavor development
during rest" this has indeed been tested. Tested and discussed many times!
Search the Homeroast List archives. Specifically vac' sealing in mason jars
with dome lids directly after cooling. Also heat sealing mylar valve bag
then vac sealing. Also vac sealing in Foodsaver bag. Oxygen need not be
present for flavor development. At least not present in any substantial
amount since vac sealing does not evacuated 100% of the oxygen.

O2 scrubbers also tested for prolonging freshness longevity, total bust.

For years all my home roasts went directly into mason jars and vac sealed.
Also quit the practice years ago. Ed nailed the why. The only time I now vac
seal a roast is if it's some special bean that's no longer available I want
to have around for a goodly time. Then it's vac sealed and frozen after
resting 5 to 7 days. Still drinking quite excellent Panama Esmeralda now and
then from my last roast Dec '09, said roast of greens that had been vac
sealed and frozen a good 6 months.

Slave to the Bean Kona Konnaisseur miKe mcKoffee
http://www.NorwestCoffee.com

http://www.mckoffee.com/

http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/