[Homeroast] Using CO2 to preserve freshness?

Mike Koenig koenig.mike at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 12:19:12 CDT 2010

Actually, my proposed experiment has little to do with preserving coffee
(though it has the side effect of putting to bed the debate of whether
various storage methods are worth their effort) and more to do with
developing an understanding of what goes on during the rest period.  My (as
yet untested) hypothesis is that oxygen is necessary for some of the flavor
development that goes on during the rest, and that taking steps to exclude
oxygen may delay staling, but also slow the flavor development process that
most of us observe during the "rest" period.

--mike