[Homeroast] Using CO2 to preserve freshness

sci scizen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 12:50:56 CDT 2010

There's a simple and easy way to use either CO2 or NO2 for any preservation
purposes.
Using a simple cream whipper, or a soda siphon, fill the unit with either
gas, you choose (just don't put in cream or water, ya know, fill them empty)
Now with the pressurized gas, you can flush the oxygen out of a container.
Wine stores sell a "wine preserver" with argon to create a layer of heavy
inert gas that settles on top of the wine in the bottle. But with the CO2,
one can, on the cheap, do the same thing for wine, or coffee or whatever.
The question is whether it is practical for daily use with coffee. IMHO, no.
I use vacuum seal bags which are very practical, reusable, and inexpensive.

Ivan