[Homeroast] Using CO2 to preserve freshness?

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 17:05:01 CDT 2010

Putting dry ice in a sealed container is a recipe for disaster.  A popular
trick is to put a chunk of dry ice in a 1 liter pop (PET) bottle and when
the dry ice sublimates, the bottle explodes.  This could be disastrous in
glass.

As for sealing mason jars, I picked up one of those foodsaver attachments
and pull a vacuum on my greens stored in jars, real handy.  I'd though of
trying the oxygen absorber packets I mentioned earlier, they actually pull a
vacuum too, but I normally use my roasted within 14 days and am currently
pinching pennies, but if you try this, let us know.

-Chris