[Homeroast] Using CO2 to preserve freshness?

Wally Merrin coffee at wmerrin.com
Sat Apr 17 16:37:57 CDT 2010

On Apr 17, 2010, at 1:21 PM, Mike Koenig wrote:
> Anyone have a setup that can pull a vacuum on mason jars?

Yes, they are a standard attachment for Food Saver style vacuum
sealers.  They are a cap sort of thing that fits over the jar lid/jar
and pulls the vacuum.  I believe at least one person on this list has
mentioned storing green beans this way.

There's another way; I believe someone on the list mentioned it awhile
back.  Oxygen absorber packets are readily available; they are used in
packing food for long-term storage and will pull a partial vacuum
reasonably quickly.  These packets use up most, if not all, of the
free oxygen in a container by oxidizing the material in the packet.
Typically, it rusts an iron compound, which removes the O2 from the
container atmosphere.  This leaves a reduced pressure, mostly inert,
mostly nitrogen atmosphere.

Wally