[Homeroast] [homeroast]Tom, any comments on the symposium "The single serve market" session?

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Thu Apr 15 21:51:29 CDT 2010

I will admit to hauling a mini-Keurig and china mug (and sometimes a kettle and NO2-powered espresso machine) when on the road by car.  Comes in its own handy bag. When I fly, it's a kettle, Zass Turkish, AP, filters (including some basket-type for hotel drip machine) and my beans. And a hard (steel or plastic) mug--you never know when all they'll have are styrofoam cups.  Got the manual 'spro-maker because it's easier to haul than even the smallest Nespresso and I can use my own beans. (Only I can't fly with it because of the nitrous oxide cartridges.....and any destination sophisticated enough to carry them would have a decent coffeehouse anyway).

Back in the primitive days before discovering homeroast or even artisanal beans, I'd save extra hotel room coffee packs so I could double up in the room's drip machine and thus get a strong enough brew. But have you noticed how many hotels are using proprietary single-cup drippers (Lavazza, Starbucks, even--blecch, Ritz-Carlton should know better--Maxwell House)? Their filter packs work ONLY in their respective machines. I'd be willing to be they were losing money on guests taking home their unused coffee packs.