[Homeroast] Using CO2 to preserve freshness?

Phil Palmintere phil.palmintere at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 09:56:28 CDT 2010

>... If the two ice cubes come out of the same freezer ... the
> temperatures of the pieces from the same source are almost certainly
> going to be close to identical, if not identical...

Two ice cubes that come out of the same freezer AT THE SAME TIME are likely
to have the same or almost the same temperature.  I agree.  It is a
probabilistic argument, not empirical.  The issue is repeatability from one
day to the next; there I respectfully disagree.

However, one ice cube taken from the freezer on Monday and one taken from
the freezer on Friday are very likely to have substantially different
temperatures, even if the freezer door had remained closed the prior 24
hours. Most modern freezers are frost-free.  The mechanism for making the
freezer frost free is that every 6 hours or so (it is on a timer that you
cannot adjust) the freezer actually heats up to above 32 degrees F, melting
the "frost" in the "frost free" freezer.  So one day the ice cube might be,
say, 28 degrees F and the next day it might be -10 degrees F.  It all
depends on when you got to the ice relative to its freeze/thaw cycle.  Of
course, if you do not have a frost-free freezer, the above argument doesn't
apply.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.  The energy absorbed by the
state change from solid to liquid swamps the energy absorbed from a variable
starting point up to 32 degrees F.

Again, these are probabilistic arguments rather than empirical ones, and I
prefer empirical ones.

Actually, I prefer my coffee this morning.  Brazil Cerrado DP Fazenda Aurea,
roasted past 1st but not into yet into 2nd crack.