[Homeroast] Using CO2 to preserve freshness?

Sam49 sam49.ideaz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 06:56:24 CDT 2010

On 4/14/2010 8:53 PM, Ryan M. Ward wrote:
> Do you mean: "If you pick up two different ice cube and measure their temperatures, will they have the same reading"?
>
> The answer is no. The melting point of ice is 0 degrees Celsius(the role pressure plays on freezing is small, compared with vaporization, so we can for the most part ignore it). But ice cubes can take on any temperature below 0 degrees Celsius all the way down to approaching absolute zero (-273.15 degrees Celsius, the theoretically lowest temperature possible in the universe).

Actually, the answer is not a definitive "NO."  The answer is "not
necessarily, they could be different or the same depending on the
source."  If the two ice cubes come out of the same freezer, or if you
get two pieces of ice from your yard after a freezing rain, the
temperatures of the pieces from the same source are almost certainly
going to be close to identical, if not identical.  It would be a safe
bet that every piece of ice in my freezer is currently the same
temperature as it has not been opened in over 18 hours.  But if it is
much colder outside than in your freezer, then the ice from outside
would be colder.  It all depends on the temperature of the place from
where you retrieved the ice.