[Homeroast] Sunbeam Vac pot tuning: a simple solution

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 15 03:55:52 CDT 2010

"Ice can exist at 30°F, 20°F, -20°F, -40° with little effect on the ice bath
temperature. Ice absorbs most heat when it melts. (32° ice --> 32° water).
It's a stable temperature regulator only at 32° F. There is no regulation at
any other temperature,"RayO brings up a very good point here that I didn't even think to mention. It is a weird fact of nature(well, not that weird, there are stranger facts of nature), that although water can take on any temperature between melting point and boiling point- and ice can take on any temperature between absolute zero and 0 Celsius, ice water, once it has reached a uniform temperature- is always 0 degrees Celsius(32 F, sorry- I exclusively use Celsius and Kelvin temperature scales in life, I honestly never use Fahrenheit and don't know Fahrenheit temperatures very well, the one exception to this rule being that I steam my milk to 150 F, when I worked as a Barista, I was trained using Fahrenheit).
This is why thermometers and thermocouple readers are calibrated with ice water that has been allowed to sit for 10 minutes- its pretty reliable.
In fact, all the way up until the 50's the Celsius temperature scale used to be defined in terms of the melting and boiling points of water(0 is melting, 100 is boiling) at standard atmospheric pressure.

--
Ryan M. Ward

http://www.ubuntu.com