[Homeroast] Using CO2 to preserve freshness?

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 23:17:19 CDT 2010

I ran across an oxygen absorber packet (like a desiccant packet for
moisture) in a can of wasabi peas that sequesters oxygen using iron in the
package and from the investigation I did some if not all packets would also
absorb CO2.  They reduce the pressure inside the sealed container.  They've
become common for storing emergency supplies for periods up to five years.
It made me curious what effect it would have on coffee beans, but probably
not useful for storing beans for just a couple of weeks.

-Chris