[Homeroast] Using CO2 to preserve freshness?

Dan d54696 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 12:38:44 CDT 2010

I have a small CO2 duster (for photographic use) which I was going to use for blowing out my grinder. However, for the grinder, I found a bulb type blower that works much better.

I've been adding a squirt of CO2 to my Mason jars of roasted beans, but I really don't know if that is of any help in slowing staling. Does anyone have any experience/proof that this is beneficial or a waste of time? I do know when making wine we use a large CO2 tank to 'top' off the fermenting grapes and that is supposed to be beneficial.

I do think that when removing the beans, if one pours them, the CO2 will spill out. Maybe I'll put a match in a jar and see if it is extinguished or perhaps a canary.

Thanks

dan

PS
In my last post, (Sunbeam pot cooling via ice cubes) a reply wanted to get into whether ice is the same temperature, etc etc. I'm not interested in lectures/debates on physics; just want to get some practical information if there is any to be had and share information if there is any to share.